It’s already mid-January! Eek. How are you? Are you keeping up with your resolutions and goals? The new year brings with it a whole new list of dos and don’ts for your wedding. While I am so excited for 2023 trends and am excited to have written you a handy-dandy short list of my favorites, I want to caution you. Trends are wonderful for inspiration, but they should not under any circumstances dictate your wedding! Say it with me, “It’s my wedding, and no one else’s.” With that in mind I have made a list of 3 of my favorite dos and a list of my do-not-ever-under-any-circumstances-unless-it-makes-you-smile list.
Do Nots: Outdated Trends to Avoid
I like to go out on a positive note, so I am going to start with my top three no nos.
- Wedding Hashtags: When done well wedding hashtags are sweet, but when done poorly, as is often the case, they are cringy. Pair that with the rise of stories and reels over posts, and your wedding hashtag becomes obsolete. Skip it.
- Digital Photography: Flash film photography is in and digital photography is out and I am living for it! There’s something purposeful about shooting on film because you will run out of shots. And flash film photography is such a unique look for your photos. Some of the best film photography near Charlottesville is done by Aly Hansen!
- Uniformity: Uniformity is out, from your bridal party’s dresses to how everyone stands for the ceremony. Involve your bridesmaid’s in picking their dresses! No, it doesn’t need to be from a wedding dress shop. There are so many wonderful boutique and well known designers that make incredible dresses that will suit your friends’ bodies, taste, and personality. The standard line up for the bridal party at a ceremony is also out. Interesting seating arrangements will set them apart but allow them to enjoy the ceremony without their feet hurting by the end. My favorite part of shaking up the standard bridal party arrangement and dress is the visual interest and personality this will give your wedding.
Dos: Trends to Incorporate
On a more positive note, my favorite ins for the 2023 wedding season!
- An elevated and thoughtful guest experience: This wedding season, I am so excited to see midday ceremonies that take a break before dinner to allow everyone to rest up before partying the night away. This is something to consider if you are most excited for celebrating with your guests but dread the 12-hour wedding day. After everyone rests up and enjoys dinner and dancing, allow your guests to explore your venue for the after party and create a speakeasy atmosphere complete with a hidden lounge, a different cocktail menu, and a crooner jazz set to end the night.
- Statement aisles: Embrace an aisle with a unique shape, perhaps a serpentine design, overflowing with florals and greenery. The whole look is lavish, elegant, and fresh—all things I love to incorporate into a wedding!
- Grace Kelly Inspired Bridal Style: What’s not to love? Her look was regal, elegant, and timeless. Clean crisp lines, delicate lace, and incredible veils with cathedral trains are making a comeback. This look could be seen on Naomi Biden for her White House Wedding in late 2022 (article here). You can take it one step further and go vintage on your gown.
I hope these upcoming wedding trends serve you while planning your big day! Please remember, though, no one—not Pinterest, the Knot, or even your wedding planner—know what you want better than you do. Speak up. Set your own trend. This is your wedding. The only opinions that really matter are you and your partner. If you’re wedding makes you happy then it was perfect, regardless of trends.
Look back on 2022 wedding trends here!
Inquire with Lemon Drop Events Co. here!